Beat the Heat - Counter the Summer Diseases
During the month of May and June in most parts of India,the daily temperature raises more than 45⁰C. This scorching heat surges many health problems related to summer season. Be informed about the summer disease and their symptoms to beat the heat!
Check out some of the common summer diseases
Heat Stroke is the most common health issue encountered during summers by many.Heat stroke can cause damage to the brain and other internal organs and it could be fetal also. People with prolonged exposure to high temperatures are more prone to the Heat Stroke. Heat Storke makes patient very weak and sensitive to the heat. The sufferer get nausea, have seizures, some become disorientated and some may lose consciousness .In extreme situation patient may go into coma as well. One should take comeplete rest and avoid heavy work until complete recovery from heat stroke.
Heat Stroke Symptoms
· Red, hot and dry skin
· Throbbing headache
· Fluctuation in heart-beats (either weak or strong)
· Rapid shallow breathing
Health Tips for Heat Stroke
· Drink plenty of fluids
· Wear loose-fitting and light weight clothes
· Protect against sunburn
· Take precautionary medication
· Avoid going out in the sun during 11 am to 5pm
In summer season, the water usage and storage increase in every household. To counter the heat during summers, people store water in water coolers, tanks and for dringking purposes. These water storages are also birth place of many harmful viruses. One of them is Varicella zoster virus, which causes Chicken Pox. This virus typically grows in wet area, so in summers make sure keep water storage sources clean to protect from such life-threating viruses.
Symptoms of Chicken Pox
· Sore throat
· Rash like blister appears in a localized part of the body which slowly spread to the entire body.
Helpful Tips for Chicken Pox:
· Get vaccinated with Anti-Chicken Pox vaccines.
· There are Chicken Pox vaccines available, used to protect a person from Chicken Pox infection. (Note: The vaccine is not suitable for people with weak immune system. Avoid getting pregnant for three months after having the vaccine)
· It takes about 2 days for the Chicken Pox boils or blisters to burst. Until the blisters recovers, keep the patient in complete isolation and let him take good amount of rest.
Another summer borne Viral disease is Measles. It is a dangerous disease cause by the Paramyxo virus. Measles are also called Rubeola and is a highly contagious respiratory infection. People who have not been vaccinated for measles in early childhood are prone to get the infection very easily from an infected person. If not treated properly, Measles can cause lifelong disabilities or it could be fatel as well. Research studies suggest that people with vitamin A deficiency are those who get easily affected by Measles.
· Cough and high fever
· Flat red spots on the forehead
· Red eyes
· Light sensitivity
· Muscle aches
· Runny nose and sore throat
· White spots inside the mouth
Helpful Tips for Measles
· Intake of Acetaminophen relieve fever and muscle ache
· To boost immune system, porper rest is recommended
· Drinking plenty of fluids is very helpful in fast recovery
· One can use humidifier to ease a cough and sore throat
· Last but not the least, take vitamin A supplements!
Jaundice severly affects the liver. It is also known with the name of Hepatitis A, caused by hepatitis A virus . Intake of unhygienic water and food items are the root cause of Jaundice. In summer especially drink boiled water and eat lighter food to keep jaundice at the bay. Thier are vaccines available to prevent the hepatitis A virus infection.
Symptoms of Jaundice
· Extreme weakness
· Loss of appetite
· Severe constipation, nausea and yellow coloration of the eyes, tongue, skin and urine.
· Intense itching
Helpful Tips for Jaundice
· Eat carbohydrate diet including fruits and fruit juices till the appetite resumes.
· In severe case of jaundice, follow fat free diet.
· Reduce intake of strong dosage of precuasionary drugs, as it causes hepatotoxicity which further harms the liver.
Typhoid causes extreme body fever due to a specific bacteria, Salmonella Typhi. Typhoid spreads mainly due to the consumption of contaminated food and water. It is very common during summers as the high temperature contaminates the food very fast. People with a poor immune system are more sucesptible to this disease. Getting vaccinated against Typhoid fever is recommended and this vaccine comes in oral and injectable form.
Symptoms of Typhoid
· Abdominal tenderness
· Loose stools
· Intestinal diarrhoea
· Fever and vomiting
· Poor appetite
· Severe fatigue and weak feeling
Helpful tips for Typhoid
· Better to avoid solid food
· Take fruits like banana, grapes, watermelon and peaches.
· Drink plenty of coconut water, barley water, buttermilk water
· The diet should supply enough protein and adequate nutrition.
So, if you start seeing the arrival of any of these symptoms contact our healthcare helpline immediately for a treatment plan.
To explore more, contact Medidaili <+919893123333>